Waconzy chats with PUNCH MAGAZINE [Nigeria's Most Widely Read Newspaper]


His hit track, ‘I celebrate’, topped the chart on the music airwaves. Waconzy is an artiste whose music holds a lot of promise.  In this interview, he talks about his career and new look
Where did you derive your stage name from?
Waconzy is a blend of two words—wacko and zany— which mean crazy and funny. When I started out, my style of rhyming was described as crazy and funny. My real name is Anyanwu Obinna Kelvin. I am a native of Abia State though I was born and bred in Port Harcourt. I studied project management at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I also did my project management professional degree in America.
How did music start for you?
It was borne out of my passion to make a positive impact around the world via music. I nursed a desire to be the voice of the youth and when I am gone, people would remember me. I realised I could make music when I was in secondary school through the help of Bruno in Owerri. That was my first studio session and I started as a rap artiste.
It must have been tough…
I thank God for the kind of spirit I have. It is able to renew itself, so no amount of discouragement is too much. The discouragement I had was not strong enough to stop my dream. My mother was there for me even though my father was the opposite. Some of the challenges I faced included not getting airplay and my inability to get a video out because I did not have funds. I think every artiste faces such challenges and it is not peculiar to me. I chose to study project management because I knew I was going to handle my music project. As such, I needed to understand how to plan, schedule and close a project. It is good to study what you will use to develop yourself so that at the end of the day, you will be empowered.
What part did your family background play in moulding your career?
I was born with a silver spoon and then I lost the spoon.  I come from a good family where everybody is doing well but I will always remember that whatever my people have is not mine. I left them very early in life to fend for myself.
When did you get your first big break in music?
Professionally, I started music in 2008 with the song ‘Ikebe Super’ which was a big hit in the Niger Delta region but my first major hit was ‘I Celebrate’ in 2009/2010. Since then, I have made many more hits including, ‘Too Much Money’; ‘Amosu’ etc.  Between when I started music professionally in 2008 and now, I have released two albums.
You drive flashy cars; music must be paying your bills…
Yes, it is but I like to say the grace of God has paid more bills for me. Music has made me a role model.
Do you fear competition especially from young acts?
There are so many artistes out there who are doing well and I am happy for them. Whether I like it or not, they is competition and it’s so funny that after I cut my dreadlocks, people say, Sean Tizzle, looks like me. I thank God I have a young spirit even though I am not as young as I look.I am at the peak of my 20s and I thank God I am able to evolve in line with whatever the current trend is.Whaetver anybody can do , I can do better.
Why did you decide to wear a new look?
I cut my dreadlocks because I wanted to have a perfect balance in life. Yes, I am a musician today but someday, I will be a family man.I don’t want to always see myself as a musician, I want to constantly remember that there are other aspects of my life I should always maximise.
You described your new video ‘Amosu’ as the first horror music video in Nigeria. What’s the concept behind this move?
Music is creativity, it is an expression of your inner person and a video only goes to articulate the music you have created. ‘Amosu’ is an Igbo word and it means an enemy of progress but it is a true life story.
What has music done for you and what has it not got you yet?
It has changed a lot of things for me. It has made me somebody, put money in my pocket and it has created an avenue for me to give back. Music is yet to get me a wife.
Do I take it to mean you are searching?
I want to get married. Like I said, I cut my hair to remind myself I am not all about entertainment. There is the real me and I don’t want that to suffer and it is necessary I get married. My dream woman must not be fat, she has to be unpretentious, willing to play with me anywhere and she should be able to cook.
What is the essence of the malaria project you are spearheading?
It is one of our several humanitarian projects. Before now we fed a thousand people in one day somewhere in Ebute-Metta. Malaria is a menace that kills 3000 people every day and evil things happen when good people do nothing. Therefore, I took it upon myself to be an element of change. It is called Waconzy Versus Malaria Zero Tolerance Campaign. We started out at Eti-Osa Local Government because they are closer to water and therefore are more prone to malaria.
Who are your friends in the industry?
Everybody is my friend and I don’t have enemies. I am close to the MAVIN family and Don Jazzy is my person.
You seem to keep to yourself a lot…
A lot of people think I am a snob. The truth is I am not one; I just don’t want issues that being friendly can bring. For years I have not had any scandal.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments: