FASHION : Lanre da Silva’s pieces from her Vintage history


In 2003 and the Vice Chancellor of Obafemi Awolowo University had just done the norm of sending all students packing right after a massive protest between the Student Union and The School Management. What really sparked the conflict? I doubt I can remember that.
According to the School’s verdict, I was sentenced to stay home in Ibadan till further notice. I wasn’t going to earn a living, neither was I going to sit at home doing nothing. I had no idea what was going to keep me busy. There was no access to cable TV, but I sure had my Old faithfuls like NTA and BCOS and a couple of DVD movies I watched on the family’s PS 2. I became the domestic staff on part time duty till I got my freedom between the hours of 8am and 4pm when everyone was up and about their daily responsibilities.
After a couple of weeks of staying home and watching the same old movies over and over again, so much I could cast for a role in those movies with no script, I finally stumbled on “New Dawn” with Funmi Iyanda on NTA. I gradually became fond of the programme that dealt with real life issues but it was more than Funmi and her team of experts’ realistic approach to life issues for me.
Save the likes of Frank Oshodi whose fame deservingly blew out of proportion after dressing Agbani Darego who won the Miss World Contest, and KC JABARI, who KWAM 1 never stopped singing praises of in every album (Yes I love Kwam 1 and I love Ayuba too), fashion in the year 2003 couldn’t boast of contemporary designers let alone showing a proper collection on the runway.
While this wasn’t my breakout moment with fashion as all I knew then was about looking “Smart, Sharp and Presentable” (in my Fathers words), I had become so obsessed with 10am for one reason; Funmi in a previous recording unlike other episodes clad herself in a piece that made her look so “My Fair Lady” from a Victorian era. She was consistently spotting Vintage garments from Lanre da Silva and that was Lanre’s breakout moment for me.
It was an aesthetic that was completely different. It had a convincing point of view that was so fresh, so polished, so sophisticated and obviously rich, I closely watched each episode not because I was particularly interested in their opinion on whatever their hot topic was about, (though I must admit it’s still the best Show in history of modern television), it was Funmi’s consistent appearance in Lanre da Silva that got me glued. She became the first Nigerian womenswear designer I knew about, the one I could swear on was pure original.
Lanre da Silva’s aesthetic, like our very own lives, may have evolved through the years into a more contemporary ready-to-wear label and gradually divorced itself from what it was known for. These are my favourite LDA pieces from her Vintage history:




Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

0 comments: