Burton King- Founder, MD, Eternal life worship Ministry International in an interview with Topstories Magazine


Burton King is a music ministerial visionary, anointed songwriter and singer,  mentor, Founder, MD, Eternal life worship Ministry International in Kenya. A Gospel minister, Burton King began the journey of his calling in ministry  while in primary school  - His song Usizunguke  was a cross-over hit song and chart buster in local radio stations and have sold many copies in Kenya and across . Topstories Magazine recently had an exclusive chat with him.


By Erick Mutinda 

Tell us more about yourself Burton King


I am a born again Gospel musician. Am a worshiper, and the Founder, MD, Eternal life worship Ministry International.

When did you start singing and what or who influenced you into the music industry .

I started singing as early as when I was in my primary school, I also used to lead praise and worship in high school, and I was also in the school choir. Angela Chibalonza has always been  my greatest inspiration I used to sing her songs a lot when I was young.

 My dad Pst. Tumaini is my mentor. I also love music from Mary Atieno, Sarah K and Reuben Kigame.

What do you personally consider to be the incisive moment in your niche as a musician.

My music is purely inspired by the Holy spirit, so my ability to communicate and to pass my message clearly to people is purely backed by the Holy spirit. The fact that am able to pass the message across without ambiguity or confusion of any sort gives me a lot of satisfaction. My music cuts across the generations, whether young or Old, I have seen very positive response from both ends and am grateful.

 Your song Usizunguke was a great hit, what was the concept behind it .

"Usizunguke chini" emanated from my personal life experience. The very many painful events that had happened in my life, loosing both parents,  the pain of growing up as an orphan.

I had purged a lot of my hope on people, especially those who promised to take care of us after my mum's death, but they disappointed us, others would give us ultimatums as to when we shall go to beg them for help, but God had a different plan altogether. And so its purely meant to encourage and restore hope to people going through  the same or worse situations, that the  Lord has the final word over your destiny, and until He has spoken, all other discouragements are null and void!




 What are currently your main challenges as a musician .

Challenges are enormous even now that the song is out there and the reception is exceptionally great. Right now music in Kenya is not paying much and doing ministry full time, making ends meet is a great challenge. 
Some People expect so much from me especially after setting the bar high with my first song, I cannot afford to lower the standards of production yet there is no money as many would expect. 

The Eternal life worship Ministry is still growing, we do not have any support from outside yet, am trying to help the young talents to grow, I handle a lot of young people who need my attention, spiritual,morale and financial support and having to balance with my personal life too. It's a very demanding season but the grace of God make it  possible  for me.

What  makes you unique, and  to continue doing music over and over again despite  the rise of many artist in the industry .

 Am in the Music Ministry, not industry, Music is in me, since I was a kid, I have always loved music. I believe   Am not just singing am also ministering to people.. my call is Eternal! And I would like to quote Shadrack Meshack and Abednego, even with the apparent adversary staring them in the face. 

The Said in Daniel 3. That even if God does not save them, they would still worship Him, and so in season and Out of season am determined to serve God


 Can  you name some of your song .

Usizunguke chini, Nakupenda, Aliyebarikiwa, Nakuhitaji, Nimetambua siri amongst many more.

You have mentioned  Pst Tumaini as a mentor ,was it that  easy to start up a career as a gospel singer .

I believe from the  mention of having Pastor Tumaini as my mentor means I'm following in his footsteps , He is one of the renowned worshipers in Kenya, East and Central Africa. I believe any young person who has a mentor or a spiritual authority over them should be able to follow their footsteps. 

The bible in 1Timothy 4:12 says  'Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.' WORSHIP is not meant for the elderly, in fact if there are people who should serve aggressively in worship then it is the young people. WORSHIP is my lifestyle, worship is my strength.

What do you usually start with when writing a song .

I have no particular start-park for my songs, they just come anytime anywhere I am, God sends songs to me and I stop to listen to the tune and record it on my phone then go to his word for more insight in regards to the message of the song and eventually into prayer to cap it 'all , then go to the studio to record and  furnish it properly so that it can be musically correct and good for my listeners.

Why did  you select  the music genre you are doing now .

I did not particularly select the genre I do, I must say am very versatile and can do music of different range and genre, it just depends on the song itself, am not the type of singers who go to the studio to be given beats then try look for words to fix and rhyme with them. I'm very original In  my composition


 What has been fans reaction over your songs .

I must confess that it couldn't be any better, my songs have received a tremendous welcome that even got myself surprised. Being my very first songs I must thank God for the great favour I have found among the hearts of Kenyans and Beyond, including Tanzania and other countries. I am very pleased that people just fall in love with any song I do regardless of whether they are hearing it for the first time.

 Can you describe the power in the songs you  write.

I believe it is quite evident in the songs themselves, God gives me the power that I transfer to my songs, it is with a lot of humility that I accept God's power to reign in me and to use me.

Like I mentioned before, my songs are purely Holy spirit inspired and  oriented word , I think  in regards to the outreach , it had got very little to do with me and a lot more to do with the holy spirit, after all it is the bible that says ...God follows His word to fulfill it...

 What are some of those nags that drive you to pen down songs .


I honestly don't think am driven by any kind of nag or situation to write a song. I'm not reactionary to the surrounding, instead I focus on God to give me the message He would like me to pass across. I only give out what I am given from above.

 What should fans expect from Burton king in terms of music .

 I must say that am ready to be used by God to inspire them more through my songs. Many more nice songs will be coming their way by the grace of God.

 Your  word to young people out there who want to do music and always wish to be like you .

Ecc 12:1 Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth, before the difficult days come, and the years draw near when you say, "I have no pleasure in them":..  This is my message to young people, this is the time to serve God, let no situation or circumstance stop  you.  

Do not despise humble beginnings.Be persistent, be prayerful and above all humble yourself. Your one day is always ahead of you. 

The fact that God has not done it now does not mean He will never do it, He will still do it. If He did it for me and for others , He will do it for you. Be patient serve God. Diligently and make sure you have a spiritual cover in your ministry. Have an alter where you worship and pay your sacrifices and tithes. This is the only sure way that you will rise to the top!


Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

7 comments:

Collo said...

Powerful,inspiring and blessing.You are going far brother.God bless.

Unknown said...

You always inspire me Burton King..May God continue showering you with His blessings. Much love Daddy!

Unknown said...

Amen am blessed..

essy mish said...

God bless you Burton

DORCAS NKATHA said...

Our dad our pride n mentor!
We thank God for you!
More grace

Unknown said...

My mentor, my role model, my teacher, may the Lord continue using you to reach the unreachable through your ministry servant of God Burton King. You are ablessing personally to me. And that vision and mission that the Lord deposited in your heart to reach His people be fulfilled In His Name.
Be blessed.

Unknown said...

More Grace Minister Bulton King. You are a blessing.